- Shareholder, 1981
Represented landowner and defeated government’s attempt to condemn one-half of owner’s development parcel at condemnation petition hearing. Subsequent negotiations resulted in successful fair market value sale and favorable high density rezoning of remainder parcel with a multi-million dollar benefit to client.
Successfully represented landowner in a condemnation of undeveloped parcels for construction of a controlled access highway interchange in the metro area. The final seven-figure condemnation award was over 21/2 times the amount of the condemnor’s quick-take appraisals and deposits.
Represented convenience stores/stations, restaurants, medical offices, office showrooms/office warehouses, and other commercial and retail businesses in various highway access taking condemnation cases resulting in substantial severance damage awards from condemnation commissioners.
Represented landowner of a large parcel of vacant development land. Defeated a partial taking condemnation at petition hearing and successfully negotiated a multi-million dollar total acquisition for fair market value.
Successfully negotiated a damage settlement in excess of $1 Million for a partial taking of a rural parcel of land. Issues of highest and best use and impact of the highway taking upon sand and gravel mining use resulted in a settlement over six-times the government’s
appraisal and quick-take deposit.
Represented church in a partial taking condemnation. Loss of access and parking claims resulted in a six-figure damage award by the condemnation commissioners that was over five-times the government’s appraisal and quick-take payment.
Successfully acquired by direct negotiation and condemnation five parcels totaling 225 acres for municipal golf course.
Represented state, county, and city interests in 26-parcel condemnation acquisition to facilitate construction of $18 Million Highway 52 interchange and infrastructure project.
Represented major oil company in a partial taking condemnation resulting in the district court declaring the city’s charter condemnation power unconstitutional, granting inverse condemnation petition and awarding attorneys’ fees and costs.
Successfully represented numerous landowners in total and partial takings of property in state, county, and city condemnations throughout the metropolitan area and the State of Minnesota.
Areas Of Practice
- Eminent Domain/Condemnation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Land Use and Zoning
- Governmental Law
- Independent Hearing Examiner (Contested Relocation Assistance Appeals)
- Minnesota, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1977
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. Juris Doctorate - 1977
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Minnesota
- B.A. Bachelor of Arts - 1972
- Honors: Marshal H. Alworth Scholar
- Honors: Frederick Klaeber Merit Scholar
- Major: Political Science
- "Post Kelo v. City of New London: Minnesota Answers the U.S. Supreme Presentations Court's Invitation to Restrict the Exercise of Government Taking Power", Minnesota Paralegal Association Convention
- "An Overview of Inverse Condemnation," Minnesota Right of Way Professionals Conference, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- "Vacation of Public Road Right of Way and Taking of Abutting Owner's Easements of Air, Light, View and Access,", Minnesota Institute of Legal Education
- "Doing the Right Thing: Ethics and Legal Considerations in Condemnation," Minnesota Right of Way Professionals Conference, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- "Condemnation Commissioners in the First Judicial District,", Hennepin County Bar Association, Eminent Domain Section
- "Preparation for a Successful Hearing on Petition and Quick Take," Minnesota Right of Way Professionals Conference, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- "The Practice of Law as a Higher Calling," Minnesota Right of Way Professional Conference, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Sinclair Oil Corporation, Inc.
- Speedway SuperAmerica, LLC
- Sears Roebuck and Co.
- Rosemount Aerospace, Inc.
- Goodrich Corporation
- Ashland, Inc.
- Lake States Lumber, Inc.
- Church of St. Henry
- RWH Properties, Inc.
- Doctors Park Properties, Inc.
- Gonyea Land Company
- Life Church
- West St. Paul Economic Development Authority
- South St. Paul Housing and Redevelopment Authority
- City of Inver Grove Heights
- Optimum Mortgage Services, Inc.
- Richard and Janice Pickering v. City of Plymouth, 2004 W.L. A 03-821, 2004, Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Sinclair Oil Corporation v. City of St. Paul, 2002 W.L. 19029020, 2002, Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Matter of Condemnation of Certain Lands in the City of White Bear Lake, 555 N.W.2d.541, 1996, Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Odell v. City of Eagan, 348 N.W.2d 792, 1984, Minnesota Court of Appeals
- Peterson v. City of Inver Grove Heights, 345 N.W.2d 274, 1984, Minnesota Court of Appeals
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association
- International Right of Way Association
- First Judicial District Ethics Committee
- Minnesota Eminent Domain Institute (MEDI)
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- First Judicial District Bar Association
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Eminent Domain Section, Civil Jury Instruction Guide Subcommittee (Eminent Domain)
Pro Bono Activities
- Dakota County Law Library Board
- Lake Region Hockey Board
- North Suburban Youth Lacrosse Association Board
- Former Minnesota Hockey District 2 Representative